What Is HyperPigmentation?
Melanin is a pigment that gives color to skin, nails, and hair. The increased production of melanin leads to a skin condition called pigmentation or hyperpigmentation. There are many other inducements, which include genetics, UV exposure, hormonal influences, age, and drug side effects. When the melanin cells flatter unhealthy, it affects melanin production. The skin becomes darker with the secretion of melanin pigment. Pigmentation may be of different kinds, such as dark spots, melasma, discoloration, and uneven skin tone usually appeared. When these patches, spots, or discolorations occur, it influences the confidence level and creates a negative image of one’s selves. In this blog, we will discuss the causes, treatment, and effective skincare routine.
How to remove pigmentation from the face permanently
There are some tips that can be useful to remove or prevent hyperpigmentation on the skin. Following these will help you to regain your natural skin and make it look better. Let’s give an eye on these tips.
- Avoid sunlight
- Use Vitamin C products to reduce the appearance
- Use a hat or mask
- Apply sunblock
- Avoid touching your skin often
skin pigmentation treatment
Skin pigmentation or hyperpigmentation is not harmful, but people prefer to get rid of it. There are various treatments for the removal of hyperpigmentation. Cosmetic procedures are helpful to lighten skin color and reduce the appearance of spots.
Laser therapy: It is used for the removal of pigmentation spots in no time. There are different types of laser available for each skin type and severity of the pigmentation. It is the fastest way to remove the hyperpigmentation. This treatment usually takes days to show results. Mild redness, swelling, and tenderness of skin may occur. The number of sessions required depends on the severity and area.
Intense pulse light: The light energy is targeted at the affected area to remove damaged or pigmented skin. A handheld device is used with light off multiple wavelengths depending upon the spots. Melanin cells in the affected area absorb the light. The texture and color of the skin is improved with this treatment. Burning, blistering, and scarring may occur after the treatment.
Chemical peels: In chemical peels, a strong solution is used to peel off the skin. The top layer of skin is removed to get rid of hyperpigmentation. Different types of chemical peeling are used to treat the affected area. The best chemical peel is glycolic acid peel, available at IPAL clinic Islamabad. The side effects include redness, burning feeling, milia, and delayed healing.
Pigmented birthmark removal
Birthmarks can come in different colors, representing the concentration of pigment. The birthmarks are caused by the blood vessels that are closed to the surface of the skin. There are different treatments used for the removal of birthmarks depending on area and location. Laser treatments and surgeries are used to remove the birthmark. Following are the ways to remove birthmarks:
Creams or ointment
Q switch laser treatment
Picoway laser treatment
Reason for pigmentation on the face
The excess of melanin pigment on your skin causes hyperpigmentation along with some other factors. These causes are discussed below:
- Sun damage: The UV rays of the sun are harmful to the skin. Sunlight is responsible for premature aging and hyperpigmentation in the form of dark spots.
- Chlosama: The dark patches on the face can be due to hormonal imbalance. It is usually caused during pregnancy. It affects the forehead, face, and stomach.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation: when your skin faces acne, or any other inflammatory disorder, dark patches or spots appear. It can affect your whole body.
- Medical Condition: Hyperpigmentation can be caused by some medical conditions, i.e., Addison’s. For proper diagnosis, a medical checkup is suggested by the doctors.
Causes of pigmentation around the eyes
Hyperpigmentation around the eyes is not easy to treat due to the delicacy of the skin around the eyes. Let’s discover the reason for pigmentation around the eyes.
- Allergies: The dark circles or spots around the eyes are usually caused by allergies. People facing allergies usually rub the skin surrounding their eyes, causing damage to it.
- Genetics: Predisposed genetic conditions play a vital role in causing dark circles or spots. The thin blood vessels in the skin increase the chance of hyperpigmentation.
- Anemia: Anemia is a major cause of pigmentation around the eyes because there is a deficiency of oxygen in the blood. The oxygen deficiency promotes dullness in the skin.
- Sun damage: The UV rays affect the skin and produce an excess amount of melanin. The dark spots are caused by the sun. Wearing sunglasses and sunblock can prevent the spots.
Skincare for hyperpigmentation
Topical products are used to treat pigmentation on a large scale. It may take months to show the effectiveness. People should consult a doctor about the usage. The following products can be useful to treat pigmentation:
Retinol: Retinol is considered a game changer for skin care for the treatment of hyperpigmentation. It reduces the pigmentation spots by stimulating the natural turnover of your skin. The best time to use retinol is at night.
Niacinamide: Niacinamide is also known as Vitamin B3, which is used to treat pigmentation and dark spots. It has been proven to be an effective treatment for fine lines and wrinkles.
Vitamin C: Applying Vitamin C products can reduce the appearance of spots as they lighten the skin tone. It enhances the natural look by fading the pigmented skin.
BB Creams: The BB creams are used as an alternative to foundation in makeup to conceal dark spots for a radiant and youthful look.
Skin Hyperpigmentation Treatment in Islamabad
Pigmentation or hyperpigmentation is a harmless skin problem that gives a dull look to you. By avoiding the causes of pigmentation, it can be prevented. For dark spots, various treatments are recommended. IPAL Clinic Islamabad provides hyperpigmentation treatments, where experienced dermatologists examine your skin and suggest the suitable treatment.