Laser skin resurfacing is a technique used to treat skin problems, including scars, wrinkles, uneven skin tone, and lesions, and to tighten the skin. In this technique, an intense pulsating beam of light is directed at the targeted area, which removes skin through vaporization. The laser removes the epidermis, which is the upper layer of skin, with precision and then heats the dermis, which is the inner layer of skin. It stimulates the production of collagen, which is a protein that helps to maintain the elasticity of the skin and also plays a crucial role in maintaining skin health. Other names are also used to recognize this procedure, which includes laser peel, laser vaporization, and lasabrasion. This procedure can be done with other cosmetic surgeries. There are experienced Cosmetologists who offer laser skin resurfacing treatment in Islamabad.
Who is a good candidate for Laser Skin Resurfacing?
An ideal candidate for laser skin resurfacing should have the following problems related to skin:
- Acne scars
- Uneven skin tone
- Sun-damaged skin
- Enlarged pores
- Age spots
A person is not qualified for this treatment if there are deep wrinkles, extremely sagging skin, active acne, or dark skin.
Benefits/Risks of Laser Skin Resurfacing
Laser skin resurfacing may be beneficial and risky at a time. For people, it may remove the skin with fine lines, uneven skin, spots, or birthmarks. But it may be harmful for some. The risks include the following:
- Hyperpigmentation may occur in the laser-treated areas. The hyperpigmented region is usually treated with bleach, which damages the tissues in your skin. Sunscreen can be used to avoid hyperpigmentation.
- Herpes may occur due to the use of a laser around your mouth. It is suggested to ask your doctor for an antiviral medication.
- Bacterial infection may occur because of the removal of the protective layer of skin.
- Swelling can be a potential risk and may last for a few days. Steroids are helpful for this, but you should consult your doctor first.
- Scarring may occur in the laser-treated areas, which is negligible.
- Burn from strong beams of light used in laser treatment.
Types of Laser Skin Resurfacing Treatment
There are different techniques of laser skin resurfacing treatment used in the field of cosmetology. Let’s discuss the types of laser resurfacing which can be performed.
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light)
The intense pulsed light is used to treat various colors in your skin. It may treat acne scars, birthmarks, sun damage, hyperpigmentation, and rosacea and get rid of unwanted hair. This technique is also in use to improve skin texture, which gives a youthful look to you. The results of this treatment can last longer as compared to alternative methods. The IPL is usually not included in laser but can treat the same skin problems.
Fractional lasers are those which treat a specific area on your face, such as age spots or blemishes. There are fewer side effects in fractional laser, and there is a fast recovery time. It lessens the presence of wrinkles, acne scars, and fine lines and improves the skin complexion. The most common types of fractional lasers are Sciton pro fractional, Fraxel dual, clear and brilliant, and Fraxel repair.
Pulse Dyed Lasers
The pulse dye lasers are also known as vascular laser because it is used to treat skin issues related to your blood vessels. It treats redness, broken capillaries, rosacea, and hyperpigmentation. In this laser, a yellow beam of light is used to heat up the skin. It treats muscular deformities such as birthmarks.
Erbium Laser Resurfacing
The Erbium laser resurfacing is the latest form of laser used to remove skin and get a new skin layer. This is helpful in getting a more even tone, elastic, and youthful skin. The effects of this laser treatment can last up to 5 years. It is used to remove wrinkles from hands, face, neck, and chest. The recovery time is faster than the CO2 laser resurfacing. The recovery process may take weeks. There may be discoloration after this treatment.
Laser surfacing through CO2
The CO2 laser skin resurfacing may treat issues such as skin cancer by removing the upper layer of the skin. Like other laser treatments, it also deals with fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars, age spots, etc. The recurrence of spots after CO2 resurfacing is negligible. The beam of pulsed light is directed at the skin in the form of scanning shots, which removes the layer of skin without damaging it.
Neodymium Yag Laser
The Neodymium Yag laser is used for the darker skin tone. The laser beam used has a longer wavelength, which penetrates deep into the skin. It can be used for laser hair removal, birthmark removal, tattoo removal, vascular reduction, and for acne.
These laser resurfacing treatments can be used by looking at your skin condition and the desired results.
What to do before/after Laser Skin Resurfacing Treatment?
- Consult an experienced dermatologist and ask if you are a good candidate for laser skin resurfacing.
- The doctor may suggest you stop taking medicines such as ibuprofen, vitamin E, and aspirin.
- Avoid the use of alcohol and smoking a few weeks before and after the treatment.
- Antibiotics may be suggested to avoid any bacterial infection.
- Topical anesthesia is used to numb the area to be treated.
- It may take 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the site to be covered.
- The treated area is bandaged after the treatment and must be cleaned at least five times daily.
- Your doctor may also suggest applying wrapped ice on the skin.
- Itching may continue for 2-3 days.
- Broadspectrum sunscreen is used to avoid skin damage.
Cost of Laser Skin Resurfacing In Islamabad
The cost of the laser treatment depends upon the experience and reputation of the skin specialist. But generally, in Pakistan, laser treatment may cost from 10,000 to 100,000. The procedure is considered cosmetic, so insurance companies do not pay for this. The IPAL clinic effectively provides laser skin resurfacing treatment and has an experienced team of professionals.